[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Sat Jun 7 21:36:28 MDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 22:52 -0400, Joaquín Bustelo wrote:
> that the
> "life style" and not just that, but the whole socio-economic structure
> of the U.S. and other advanced imperialist countries, the way they are
> structured and organized concretely, is fundamentally unsustainable,
> it is destined to crash, not into a brick wall, but a granite mountain
> face.

Exactly. We have a huge problem in talking to workers in the US, who
assume that the US can continue consuming twenty-five percent of the
world's petroleum while making up five percent of the world's
population. And a lot of them think that drilling in Anwar or invading
Venezuela will solve the problem, and that it is perfectly OK to do this
if we have to.

Nader does not grasp this nettle at all, much less deal with the
geological problems posed by peak oil.

The line I take in discussions of this question, is to say that the
problem with the corporations, specifically the oil companies,is not
"speculation" but their conscious decision not to inform the citizenry
that oil would peak some day and that we would have to make different
decisions about how we will transport goods and people, generate
electricity and heat our homes.

Like good drug dealers, they were quite happy to keep the junkies
supplied as long as possible. Along with their SUV peddling brothers in
the auto industry, who are now throwing workers out the door en masse.

Shifting the blame to "speculators" also raises the possibility of
anti-semitic  scapegoating. After all who might these speculators be?
George Soros? Goldman Sachs? Lehman Brothers? We've been down this road
before in history.

Jon Flanders