[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 8 08:14:25 MDT 2008

Sartesian wrote:
>7. If, has been proven, current technologies are capable of  extracting
>usable grade petroleum from super-heavy sources-- Athabasca, Orinoco--
>why are the super-heavy reserves not included in peak oil theory
>calculations?   If the answer is cost-- then that is no answer to the
>peak oil theory which argues on depletion of the available, limited,
>resource.   Cost is a social product, not a natural one.

I am no expert on "peak oil" but cost is definitely part of the
calculation, as far as I know. The theory is not based the
disappearance of oil but of *cheap* oil.

THE END OF CHEAP OIL

by Colin J. Campbell and Jean H. Laherrère,
Scientific American, March 1998

 From an economic perspective, when the world runs completely out of
oil is thus not directly relevant: what matters is when production
begins to taper off. Beyond that point, prices will rise unless
demand declines commensurately.

full: http://dieoff.org/page140.htm