[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

La Sainte lasainte at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 11:32:16 MDT 2008

First of all, the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old. It has a diameter of about 8,000 miles. Minerals were formed when the earth was formed. Therefore, minerals can be found throughout the earth's interior, the lighter minerals (my guess) tending to be closer to the surface.

Life did not come on the scene in abundance until .5 billion years ago (the Cambrian Period). Because all life has existed on the surface (land and water), all decomposed (oil and coal) organic matter will not be found more than a few miles into the earth, even if we include the results of post-Cambrian tectonic plate shifting (earthquakes). The deepest oil well to date is 7 miles. Even if at some point oil is discovered 50 or even 100 miles below the surface, not only would the extracting be very, very expensive, it still does not compare to the almost limitless abundance of most minerals.

Cherie