[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Sun Jun 8 09:07:44 MDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 09:49 -0500, La Sainte wrote:
> 1. What makes oil different than other minerals? If Hubbert in his
> bell
> curve is indeed describing the "natural" course of production of a
> mineral, then is there a bell curve governing production of... coal?
> copper?  tin?

Yes, of course, its just that the peak is further out. At the rate coal
is being burned for electricity, if we don't fry the planet it may run
out sooner than we think. There's plenty of information on this out
there.

> Oil is not a mineral like copper and gold. It is the advanced stage of
> decomposed organic matter. Therefore, the source is limited. We are
> running out of oil.

Coal is also a form of organic matter.

For an amusing look at the industry financed, constantly quoted in the
NY Times"expert' Daniel Yergin and his think tank, see:
http://home.entouch.net/dmd/cera.htm

He is finally predicting higher crude oil prices, so perhaps a big price
decline is due. Its amazing that companies actually spend big bucks for
his information, but perhaps its to do the opposite of what he
advocates.

Jon Flanders