[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 10:30:33 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM, La Sainte <lasainte at earthlink.net> wrote:

> 1. What makes oil different than other minerals? If Hubbert in his bell
> curve is indeed describing the "natural" course of production of a
> mineral, then is there a bell curve governing production of... coal?
> copper?  tin?
>
> Oil is not a mineral like copper and gold. It is the advanced stage of decomposed organic matter. Therefore, the source is limited. We are running out of oil.

I'm not sure I understand -- what does something being organic or
inorganic in origin have to do with how limited its source is? If you
mean that new oil is not being created, well, new minerals are also
not being created. Chemical elements can transform into one another
only in exceptional situations (e.g. nuclear reactions in the interior
of stars) but not otherwise. The organic/inorganic distinction seems
hardly relevant here.