[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 16:39:49 MDT 2008

sartesian wrote:

> mineral, then is there a bell curve
> governing production of... coal? copper?
> tin?

Yes.

> 2. Fair warning:  before answering (1)--
> one of Hubbert's initial studies was on
> the coming shortage of.... coal.

What does that have to do with the obvious
fact non-renewable resources get used and
depleted. The only question is how fast.

Errors in predictions of the time scale and
the shape of the curves have nothing to do
with the underlying mechanism.

> 3. Prices for copper have doubled and
> tripled from "historic norms" over the
> past few years: is this evidence of a
> coming shortage of copper? And gold?  Are
> we now facing a looming shortage of gold?
> 9. I thank all for their indulgence on
> this matter, and promise to refrain from
> further argument on peak oil theory.

When many things are happening at once
empirical evidence is often in the noise.
Looking at PAPER economy is a poor way to
understand the physical economy.

Those who don't believe in theories and
prefer to wait for empirical proof are a bit
like those who believe that the market will
send a signal soon enough.

Conservation before scarcity would be
possible if theories were understood and we
stopped letting prices make our decisions, as
if prices were much of a guide to anything real.

It's not just a theory that depletion happens.

Barry