[Marxism] Nader and Peak Oil

David Picón Álvarez david at miradoiro.com
Sun Jun 8 17:04:47 MDT 2008

From: "Barry Brooks" <durable at earthlink.net>
> Errors in predictions of the time scale and
> the shape of the curves have nothing to do
> with the underlying mechanism.

But a lot to do with the validity, usefulness and accuracy of the theory. I
doubt many people think any particular resource, much less a complex
hydrocarbon formed through biotic processes is going to last forever, but
peak oil is a more powerful theory than "oil will run out when we use it all
up", and it is in its power where it is more contentious as a correct
theory.

> Those who don't believe in theories and
> prefer to wait for empirical proof are a bit
> like those who believe that the market will
> send a signal soon enough.

Those who like eating boiled eggs are a bit like those who enjoy atonalism.
You see, I can make oracular pronouncements just as well. I haven't seen
anyone not believing in theories as a whole on this list yet, though some of
us are more willing to entertain some theories than others, in fact, all of
us, I should say.

> Conservation before scarcity would be
> possible if theories were understood and we
> stopped letting prices make our decisions, as
> if prices were much of a guide to anything real.

So you don't think the law of value operates in a capitalist society then?
You don't think the bourgeois prices represent the exchange value of a
commodity and are in the main determined by the labour content of the
commodity? Do you also have an alternative to the rest of Marxism?

--David.