[Marxism] Immigration policy.

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Mon Jun 9 08:43:04 MDT 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:36:33 +0200
> Von: "David Picón Álvarez" <david at miradoiro.com>
> An: Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
> Betreff: [Marxism] Immigration policy.

> I recently read this article on what they call "the paradox of
> immigration".
> Quoting:
>
> "The paradox is that countries attempting to screen immigrants by skill
> level, so that they only get the more skilled ones, end up with an
> immigrant
> mix
> that is less skill-intensive than countries with open immigration.  This
> apparently is a consensus message from the Munich Economic Summit:
> countries
> like Ireland, the UK, and Spain, which have had major episodes of open
> immigration from EU accession countries and/or general amnesties for
> non-EU
> immigrants have higher proportions of highly qualified immigrants -
>
> For example, 45% of Ireland's foreign-born residents and 34% of Britain's
> have a university degree, compared with only 19% in Germany and 11% in
> Italy,
> Mr. [Hans-Werner] Sinn said."

In Germany Hans-Werner Sinn is regraded as one of the most pro-capitalist economics.
From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Werner_Sinn

"Sinn criticizes the escalation of German wages from 1970 to 2000 and the growth of a welfare state based on wage replacement incomes, which, in his opinion, is largely responsible for mass unemployment among low-skilled workers. He points out the many adjustments that are necessary to strengthen Germany’s role in a globalised economy. They include reducing the power of the trade unions and improving the incentive structures of the welfare state. (...)
Sinn feels that the German welfare state has structural flaws and argues for a restructuring. Unemployment benefits, for example, weaken the willingness to take on a job at the same or lower pay. It is understandable, he argues, that no one will go to work if he gets more from the state for not working. Unemployment compensation functions as a minimum wage that destroys the jobs of those people whose productivity is lower than this minimum wage.(...)
Sinn also favors a loosening of Germany’s dismissal protection laws. He proposes letting employees decide whether to take a job with higher pay and lower dismissal protection or lower pay and higher protection.(...)
To make German workers “more competitive”, Sinn has argued for an increase in weekly working hours in Germany from 38 to 42 hours without pay increases. In addition to a direct lowering of wage costs, this would make all workers more productive and would increase supply and demand."