[Marxism] New German-Turkish film EDGE OF HEAVEN

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 9 10:11:04 MDT 2008

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> Speaking of Turkey, has anyone else seen the new German-Turkish
> thriller, EDGE OF HEAVEN? I saw it yesterday and it was one of
> those movies which I found I enjoyed greatly as it showed me a
> bit about a world of which I have no knowledge, but the oddly
> convoluted structure of the narrative, some of which was in
> reverse-time, left me somewhat confused at the ending.

Opening at the Film Forum Theater in New York on May 21, Fatih Akin’s
“The Edge of Heaven” is unfortunately cut from the same cloth as Paul
Haggis’s “Crash” and Alejandro González Iñárritu’s “Babel”. These sorts
of films, with their combination of far-fetched coincidence and liberal
pieties, seem to be irresistible to film festival award panels. “The
Edge of Heaven” won four German Oscars, including one for Best Film. I
imagine that New York film critics will fall all over themselves
praising it, but that’s nothing new. “Crash” and “Babel”, another two
pretentious Message movies, were also hoisted on their shoulders. My
intention, as always, is to dig beneath the hype.

Fatih Akin is a 33 year old Turk who was born and raised in Hamburg,
Germany. Since his last film “Crossing the Bridge” was an excellent
introduction to the Turkish music scene, it can at least be said that
“The Edge of Heaven” is distinguished by the inclusion of some terrific
background music attributable to the director’s obvious expertise. The
acting and cinematography are also first-rate, including some wonderful
scenes of Istanbul streets and the starkly beautiful Black Sea region of
Northern Turkey. It is too bad that the screenplay is utter nonsense.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/the-edge-of-heaven/