[Marxism] Nader, McKinney, etc.

Joaquín Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:27:53 MDT 2008

Ruthless replied to my post about campaign financing:

"If your point is valid, then the point made by Mark Lause (quoted
below) seems to be invalid. I don't have enough expertise to determine
which of the two of you are correct on this."

I assume Ruthless is referring to this part of Mark's post:
> The point I raise has to do with contributions from the other end,
> the usual sources, the top, the same people and companies giving to
> Clinton or to McCain.  That's how Obama raised his record-breaking
> $265,000,000.

The assertion about companies giving is, of course, literally false.
This is in violation of the law, a law going back to the Nixon era
(indeed, it was corporate contributions from *just before* that law
went into effect that was a significant component of Watergate. Nixon
had a big slush fund that was used to pay the "plumbers."

As for the rest of it, I sincerely doubt that Obama's claim --with
names and employers attached-- about his contributors are
fabrications. These include many of the usual suspects. It also
includes tons more people who rarely or never have contributed to
campaigns. Saying there's no difference in Obama's fund raising is not
factually true.

As for the facile claim that it's the big donors that are (allegedly)
moving Obama to the right, I don't think it is that simple. In terms
of positions, insofar as he has defined them, Obama is simply not too
different from Clinton or other run of the mill mildly liberal
democrats. What's differentiated him is his tone and stance of being
against "politics as usual" coupled with the fact that he is Black,
which gives that stance credibility. I do not expect Obama's stance to
change one millimeter between now and November. Nor do I believe the
fat cats and party bosses would be asking him to, but even if they
did, he wouldn't, I don't believe.

Nor do I believe it is simply all a sham. Obama is proposing a
different stance in foreign relations, a different tone. This is what
the debate and charges about talking to Chavez or whoever are about.

Joaquin