[Marxism] Richardson advocates dialoque with Cuba, Venezuala

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 22:13:15 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Eli Stephens
<elishastephens at hotmail.com> wrote:

> But I did very specifically mean to heap scorn on Richardson's comments about
> political prisoners, on "physician, heal thyself" grounds. American politicians
> talking about political prisoners or human rights violations (or alleged
> political prisoners and alleged human rights violations) in other countries, who
> don't ALSO talk about political prisoners and human rights violations in their
> OWN country, deserve nothing but scorn, since their double standard just exposes
> the fact that they don't care about political prisoners or human rights at all,
> but only talk about them in order to score points against "our" "enemies."
>
> Five Cuban heroes, imprisoned in the United States for ten years now, in some
> cases not having seen their spouses in all that time, for the "crime" of trying
> to (and, in fact, succeeding at) prevent acts of terrorism. When will Richardson
> address THOSE political prisoners?

A "political prisoner" is someone held in prison or otherwise
detained, perhaps under house arrest, for his/her involvement in
political activity.

The Cuban five were imprisoned after receiving a trial, when they were
determined to have broken a US law. Not for their political activity.

Likewise, the so-called political prisoners in Cuba were imprisoned,
after receiving a trial, for receiving money from a hostile country
(the USA), or breaking other Cuban laws. Not for their political
activity.

Neither the Cuban Five in the USA, nor the the so-called political
prisoners in Cuba, can be called "political prisoners".

I support the call for the release of the Cuban Five. Not because I
think they are "political prisoners"  (I don't think so) but because
the punishment clearly doesn't fit the "crime".