[Marxism] Richardson advocates dialoque with Cuba, Venezuala

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 10 12:33:52 MDT 2008

The ruling class is divided on what tactical orientation
to take toward the world. This is the point which is not
understood by those who demand that Obama take positions
which are essentially revolutionary. In order to make any
change in US foreign policy, including important shifts
in its tactics, it's necessary to install another person
in the White House. That's what this is about, and that's
what's being ignored by the ultra-sectarian criticizers.
They think that the differences between them have no
political significance, that, in essence, McCain and
Obama are identical. This is where we don't agree as a
matter of practical fact. Obama's visit to Miami where
he maintained his position calling for the lifting of
travel and remittance restrictions for Cuban-Americans
is a good case in point. If Obama were to be able to do
even this one simple thing, it would be a positive step,
though the critics would find some way to denounce him
for framing any such step in anti-revolutionary motives.

My crystal ball isn't as clear as the critics, so I'm not
able to predict with such absolute certainty that nothing
in the Obama candidacy makes any difference whatsoever.
I cannot predict that the travel and remittance limits are
NOT going to be removed, to cite just a single example.

While I'm not trying to compare Obama to Jose Marti, it
IS an important element in political practice and theory
to understand Marti's profound conception:

  "I have had to work quietly and somewhat indirectly, because
  to achieve certain objectives, they must be kept under
  cover; to proclaim them for what they are would raise such
  difficulties that the objectives could not be attained."
  http://www.walterlippmann.com/marti-mercado-1898.html

There is a reason why every Cuban-American in the United States
who wants to see relations normalized and who does not favor
the overthrow of the Cuban Revolutionary government is clearly
in favor of Obama. Just look at their websites: Progreso Weekly,
Radio Miami, and others. What is it that they know that the
fearsome critics don't seem to know? They know that in politics,
things aren't always absolutely perfectly politically clear.

Richardson and Dodd ran for president favoring more normalized
relations with Cuba. Dodd favors full normalization. When their
campaigns didn't work, they came out for Obama. These things
happen for a reason.

It really seems that the critics are opposed to normalization
unless it's framed in acceptance of the 100% legitimacy of the
Cuban Revolution. Alas, so long as the United States of America
remains capitalist and imperialist, that is unlikely to occur.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

Sgt. Carlos Lazo and Cuban-American support for Obama:

MORE:
http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/002321.php
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-stephens/no-way-to-treat-a-soldier_b_2817.html
ELI STEPHENS writes:
It's true that the LEADERSHIP of movements to free the
Cuban Five, and Mumia, comes from Communists, as has the
leadership of movements for justice for political prisoners
going back to the Scottsboro boys and probably before. But
one hardly has to be a Bolshevik, much less vying for the
non-existent job of Bolshevik-in-Chief, to support justice
for the Five, or Mumia, or Leonard, etc.
Walter is right that a different Obama campaign (not
kowtowing to right-wing Cubans, right-wing Israelis, and
other reactionary forces) would probably make it less
likely for him to be elected. But if he's laboring under
the illusion that this is all a clever ruse to get himself
elected before revealing his "real" positions, I suggest he
brace himself for some serious disappointment.

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"