[Marxism] question on Egypt books

Greg Dunkel gdunkel at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 10 12:55:56 MDT 2008

Here are two that I am reading:

Workers on the Nile: Nationalism, Communism, Islam, and the Egyptian Working Class
by Joel Beinin, Zachary Lockman
Examines the role of trade unionism and the working class in the development of Egyptian nationalism

Workers and Peasants in the Modern Middle East
Joel Beinin's book offers a state-of-the-art survey of subaltern history in the Middle East.

The "Workers ..." is a combination of their PhD theses but if you don't react badly to a slight academic tinge and perhaps too much detail, is a very worthwhile book.  I am about 2/3rd done.

Similarly, Workers & Peasants is a bit broader but puts Egypt in context.  I read it also.

Some of his articles with Egyptian collaborators on arabist.net and Merip Online are very useful