[Marxism] Does Peak Oil Theory Help the Bourgeoisie?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jun 10 20:34:18 MDT 2008

>The theory of peak oil does not place capitalist social property relations at
>the heart of the problem.  It instead takes exchange value, and supply and
>demand based on exchange value to create a peak of 'cheap' oil, at
>face value.
>It lacks Marx's key insight into the obfuscatory capacity of
>bourgeois political
>economy and by doing so helps to obfuscate the root of the problem.
>
>Brad

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Huge trawlers equipped with sonar have gone out and turned large
swaths of the ocean into dead zones. Is there something in Marxism
that forces us to view the attention paid to the extinction of
species such as the blue-fin tuna as some kind of capitalist plot to
drive up the price of sushi?

I don't find the concept of peak oil that useful and prefer to accept
the views of geologists who state that there is enough oil to last
for another 60 years or so rather than 20. Just let me repeat that
for emphasis. The geologists opposed to peak oil believe that there
is less than a century's worth of oil left in the ground.

It seems to me that our emphasis should be on calling attention to
the entire nexus of environmentally unsustainable practices that
involves automobiles, over-fishing, industrial farming, building
cities like Phoenix, etc. All this is related to the capitalist
system and the production of commodities. If that is not sufficiently
grounded in Marx's writings, then there's something I am missing.