[Marxism] # Re: The uselessness of the term "peak oil",

David Walters dave.walters at comcast.net
Tue Jun 10 20:53:13 MDT 2008

Just on Australia...first the most immediate fight is against state
attempts to privatize the energy sector. I think it's in NSW that this
fight is of particular importance so I wish all of you solidarity there
who are involved in this.

Secondly,  geothermal. Geothermal has be the most 'beloved' form of any
energy there is...it's "on demand", 24/7,  can even load follow.
Everyone likes it. Really. The problem is that 80% of thermal are
essentially "fossil steam". They tap existing steam or hot water
reservoirs and they do not replenish.

The "hot rocks" method is not the same as typical geothermal described
above. It means inject water...LOTS of water, on these hot  rocks and
hopefully the pressure generated can be mined and used in a standard
steam turbine. There is a reason it is not used in most places: the
engineering is expensive, it uses lots of water (as I said above) and
requires a huge investment with no guarantee a watt of power will be
produced.

I 'can be' an answer but is not THE answer until it's proven that steam
generated can actually be used. Until then it's so much speculation,
albeit one that should be explored.

Thirdly..."carbon sequestration". Good luck with that. No one has done
on a scale that is required. It's mostly marketing by the big coal
companies in the US and Australia. Coal prices are rising (as is every
form of energy generation) and this will double the price of power from
coal generation and does nothing to eliminate the real deadly aspect of
coal: particulate laden with heavy metals.

This forum is not to debate the nuclear issues (you've been WARNED). I
will correct /S. Artesian who argued that nuclear is 'primitive'. The
only issues right now that are holding up nuclear can be reduced to two
things: cost, and spent nuclear fuel or what anti-nuclear types call
"waste". Those the biggees.

David
/