[Marxism] Henryk Grossman as dependency theorist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 11 12:29:09 MDT 2008

Last March, in conjunction with a discussion of “crisis theory” on the
Introduction to Marxism mailing list on Yahoo, I read Rick Kuhn’s
biography of Henryk Grossman—winner of the Isaac Deutscher Prize last
year—and Grossman’s most important work “The Law of Accumulation and
Collapse of the Capitalist System”. While most of the scholarly
attention, including Kuhn’s, is focused on Grossman’s attempt to develop
a theory of crisis out of Marx’s examination of the organic composition
of capital, there is a very important discussion of the role of
imperialism in mitigating the impact of crisis. It appears in part two
of the final section of Grossman’s book, titled “Restoring Profitability
through World Market Domination.”

After having read it the third time at this point, I am struck by its
affinity with dependency theory. I am also struck by Grossman’s ability
to ground his ideas in Marx’s Capital. Ironically, despite the tendency
to see Lenin’s writings on imperialism as a fountainhead, I find
Grossman’s ideas more grounded in basic Marxist theory and a useful
rejoinder to Brenner’s claims on orthodoxy.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/06/11/henryk-grossman-as-dependency-theorist/