[Marxism] work - ability - needs

Pance Stojkovski pance at rogers.com
Thu Jun 12 11:29:11 MDT 2008

Here's a relevant paragraph from Marx's Critique of
the Gotha Programme:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1875/gotha/ch01.htm

"In a higher phase of communist society, after the
enslaving subordination of the individual to the
division of labor, and therewith also the antithesis
between mental and physical labor, has vanished; after
labor has become not only a means of life but life's
prime want; after the productive forces have also
increased with the all-around development of the
individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth
flow more abundantly -- only then then can the narrow
horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety
and society inscribe on its banners: From each
according to his ability, to each according to his
needs!"

I'm curious - did Marx ever say "to each according to
his work"? If not, how was it introduced in the
Marxist lexicon?

I found this quote by Lenin:

"We must raise the question of piece-work[8] and apply
and test it in practice; we must raise the question of
applying much of what is scientific and progressive in
the Taylor system; we must make wages correspond to
the total amount of goods turned out, or to the amount
of work done by the railways, the water transport
system, etc., etc."

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1918/mar/x03.htm

Pance.