[Marxism] Legal Update on behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal, death row, Pennsylvania

Bonnie Weinstein giobon at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 12:37:11 MDT 2008

Legal Update on behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal, death row, Pennsylvania
Robert R. Bryan, lead counsel for Mumia Abu-Jamal
June 10, 2008
RobertRBryan at aol.com

This Legal Update is made on behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal, who is on
Pennsylvania’s death row.

United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Philadelphia
Yesterday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit entered an
order extending the due date for submitting the Petition for Rehearing
En Banc on behalf of my client, Mumia Abu-Jamal. We will file it on
June 27, 2008.

There apparently is still confusion regarding the March 27 federal
decision. A new jury trial was ordered on the question of whether the
penalty should be life or death. The court did not rule that Mumia
should receive a life sentence as some have stated. The penalty-phase
was reversed because the trial judge gave misleading and
unconstitutional jury instructions. Nonetheless, I expect far greater
gains.

There was a lengthy dissenting opinion on the issue of racism in jury
selection. It found that there was prima facie evidence of the
prosecutor engaging in racism. He removed prospective African-American
jurors for no reason other than the color of their skin. That violates
the United States Constitution. This extraordinary dissent goes to the
core of our effort to secure an entirely new trial. The first step in
that process is what we presently are about—convincing the entire
federal court that the case should be reheard and full relief granted.
This dissent serves as the basis for that effort and, if need be,
going to the United States Supreme Court.

Mumia remains on death row. The prosecution has vowed to appeal and
continue its quest to see him executed. I will not let that happen.

Donations for Mumia's Legal Defense in the United States The only way
to ensure that donations in the U.S. go only to the legal defense is
to make checks payable to the National Lawyers Guild Foundation
(indicate "Mumia" on the bottom left). The donations are tax
deductible. Checks should be mailed to:

Committee To Save Mumia Abu-Jamal
P.O. Box 2012
New York, NY 10159-2012

Conclusion This case can be won. In over three decades of successfully
defending people in capital murder cases, I have not seen one more
compelling. Racism is a thread that has run through the case since its
inception. My objective remains to obtain a new jury trial in which
Mumia will be acquitted by a jury so that he can return to his family,
a free person.

On behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal, I thank you.

Yours very truly,

Robert R. Bryan
Law Offices of Robert R. Bryan
2088 Union Street, Suite 4