[Marxism] work - ability - needs

Pance Stojkovski pance at rogers.com
Thu Jun 12 15:13:37 MDT 2008

--- S. Artesian wrote:
> Thought I stated that Marx says exactly this in
> Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy.
>
> Here's something that might help:
>
> "The labour-time expressed in exchange-value is the
> labour-time of an individual, but of an individual
> in no way differentiated from the next
> individual and from all other individuals."
> ACTTCOPE, New World Paperbacks,
> 1970 p 32.

Yes, Marx is talking about "...individual in no way
differentiated from the next..." for the purpose of
explaining the concept of "labour-power".

But your one original paraphrase of Marx was this:

"man's or woman's hour is worth the same as another
man's or woman's."

Marx is talking about the general concept labour-time.
He's not talking about productivity, or "worth".

Pance.