[Marxism] Various Updates: Health, Mainstream magazine discussion; Texas Raids

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at hunterbear.org
Fri Jun 13 08:05:07 MDT 2008

As the subject title indicates, this is a brief update on the Texas raids/aftermath situation -- plus a couple of personal notes. I'll do the latter first.
Medically, I continue to feel better than I have since the SLE attacked full-scale five years ago. It's a deadly foe and there are still problems, We take nothing for granted -- but we are greatly encouraged and the doctors are, as I mentioned a few days ago, pleasantly surprised. Our recent family addition, Sky Gray, is a major asset -- and, as the most wild and lively entity that I've encountered for many years, is solid preventative medicine in her own right against any tendencies toward depression. After five years of basic "confinement to quarters" I am now becoming very restless in a most healthy way. I wouldn't mind at all a return to formal academic teaching but that mostly likely is not in the cards -- given the still prevailing paranoid hostility in certain Idaho State University administrative quarters. For Sky, see
http://hunterbear.org/sky_gray_comes_home.htm

Although the Internet seems in my corner to be in a brief lull, I have been having some cordial correspondence with a well established labor historian back east, himself a "red diaper baby" from the 1950s, who is doing what promises to be a good book. He has visited our website extensively over the years. Part of this quite recent correspondence has involved my pleasant recollections of the first-rate left literary magazine, Mainstream, which published in 1960 two pieces of mine, a short story [The Destroyers]; and a long article on the 1959-into early1960 Mine Mill copper strike and the accompanying "Mine Mill Conspiracy Case", itself an obvious strike-breaking frameup by the Feds and the copper companies. [See this well visited website page of ours, http://hunterbear.org/Mine-Millconspiracycase.htm This travesty and all other Federal cases against Mine-Mill were eventually thrown out by Federal appellate courts.]

In those days, Mainstream was most capably edited by Charles Humboldt, an ecumenical and out-reaching Communist, who I describe thusly:

" Charles, who I never met personally, but with whom I did correspond, struck me as a highly principled and committed person, sensitive, very much interested in good literature [prose and poetry] and nicely done illustrative sketches. His instincts and behavior were persuasive, not coercive. At that point, Mainstream was, in my opinion and that of many, a first rate left literary publication. When Dr.Annette Rubinstein [who worked with Charles on the magazine] came to the Phoenix area in Spring '60 to speak at a Morton Sobell support event, it was my privilege to serve as her guide [and, in a sense, body-guard] in that genuinely threatening city. [She was much impressed with the fact that I, an ASU grad student, looked like a football player.] During our time together, Dr Rubinstein alluded somewhat to problems Charles was facing as editor."

Charles Humboldt was ousted as Mainstream editor in the latter summer of 1960, and an obviously political placement was installed in that role. The magazine then went into relatively rapid demise and eventually died; Charles went on to write for the National Guardian but passed away himself; and there has been nothing quite like Mainstream in the American Left since then. Recently, Political Affairs, the CP journal, has feathered out in impressive fashion and, a couple of years or so ago, reprinted my Mainstream short story which deals with lethal racism in the context of a raging Northern Arizona forest fire. [Soon after The Destroyers appeared in Mainstream, it was selected as one of the 50 best published that year by Martha Foley's Yearbook of the American Short Story [1961] and widely reprinted abroad -- including within the Soviet Union by writers' unions. Beba [our oldest son] and some other UND grad students included it in a well done annual anthology, North Country.]

To the Texas debacle:

As I've indicated a couple of times before, the Salt Lake papers provide a continual update on all of that. I have tried to avoid over-posting on the matter but the following short and contemporary posts provide a sort of Keeping Up. The Federal "Task Force" re polygamists endorsed by Harry Reid appears to be having rough sledding. Texas is considering "criminal charges" but continues to drag its feet in the matter of formally dealing with the disturbed young woman at Colorado Springs, CO who has no FLDS connections of any kind -- and who made the very obvious [and recognized by all, everywhere] hoax calls that sparked this whole tragedy, and which could fundamentally impeach any effort by Texas to conjure up effective "criminal charges." A local Utah sheriff's department sent, apparently in an ostensibly covert fashion, denigrating material to Texas authorities re certain FLDS leaders -- but this leaked out pronto and has been refuted by FLDS spokesmen and their attorneys. All of the seized children have been returned to their parents -- and families, including about 150 of the children, are now trickling back to their ranch near Eldorado [El Dorado.] These two pieces give current flavor:

Lawyers for FLDS may sue over raid
But collecting on any court suit may be tough
By Ben Winslow
Deseret News
Published: June 13, 2008
Lawyers for the Fundamentalist LDS Church are preparing for what could become a series of lawsuits against Texas authorities for the raid on the YFZ Ranch.
"There is a desire and a need for compensation, so I think you will see something come," said Rod Parker, a Salt Lake attorney who is acting as a spokesman for the FLDS people.

The lawsuits would likely focus on the removal of the children, the raid itself and damage to the FLDS Church's first-ever temple on the Eldorado property.

"They kicked in the door. They tore it up," Parker told the Deseret News Thursday. "More importantly, it was defiled. It's not usable as a temple."

The children taken in the raid and placed in foster care have returned to their families with "problems," he said.

"They're looking at counseling."

The raid on the Yearning For Zion Ranch began April 3 when Texas child welfare authorities and police responded to a call about a 16-year-old girl who said she was pregnant and in an abusive marriage to an older man.

Once there, authorities say they saw signs of other abuse, including underage mothers. That prompted a judge to order the removal of all of the children from the FLDS property.

All 440 children were returned to their parents following a pair of rulings by an appeals court and the Texas Supreme Court that said the state acted improperly. Criminal investigations are still under way, and the original call that sparked the raid is being investigated as a hoax.

A Dallas attorney who represented a number of young women whom Texas alleged were minors - but were really adults - told the Deseret News she is still considering a lawsuit on their behalf, alleging civil rights violations.

"We're still in the research and drafting process," Laura Shockley said Thursday.

Collecting on any possible court victory may not be easy. Texas has immunity laws protecting itself against certain types of civil litigation, but government officials could be named individually. There is also a cap on the amount of damages that could be collected.

"It depends on if they sue in state court or federal," Shockley said. "If they sue in state court, there's all kinds of immunity. There may be some immunity issues in federal court. We're all researching that issue."

The Deseret News first reported in April that letters had been sent out, putting Texas authorities on notice to preserve any and all communications and documentation, should it become evidence in civil litigation. A series of follow-up letters were recently sent out, Parker said.

"There are a lot of different ways to pursue this and look at it," he said. "We want to be smart about it and not be reckless."

E-mail: bwinslow at desnews.com

Mueller questions need for panel on FLDS, says FBI won't take lead
By Geoffrey Fattah
Deseret News
Published: June 12, 2008
FBI Director Robert Mueller says his agency will not take the lead in investigating polygamist groups but will rather support any local law enforcement effort if asked to.
Speaking to reporters during a brief trip to the FBI's Salt Lake Field Office, Mueller said the FBI's focus remains on counterterrorism, child exploitation and financial fraud cases - but polygamy was not among those priorities.

At a time when federal and state law enforcers from several states, including Utah, have converged in Las Vegas to form a task force on polygamy, Mueller on Wednesday said he did not see the need for it.

"I'm not sure a task force is necessary," Mueller said. With that said, Mueller said the FBI will continue to assist state and local law enforcement in any polygamy-related investigation if asked to.

When asked if the FBI has any current investigations into polygamist groups, Mueller said he could not comment on any ongoing investigations.

Mueller did praise the Salt Lake Field Office for breaking up a variety of criminal enterprises, including its success in dismantling the violent street gang known at the Tiny Oriental Posse. More than 12 members of the gang recently entered guilty pleas in federal court under charges of racketeering.

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

Check out our Hunterbear website Directory http://hunterbear.org/directory.htm
[The site is dedicated to our one-half Bobcat, Cloudy Gray:
http://hunterbear.org/cloudy_gray.htm

See Personal Narrative:  http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm
And see Outlaw Trail:  The Native as Organizer: http://hunterbear.org/outlaw_trail1.htm

In our Gray Hole, the ghosts often dance in the junipers and sage, on the game trails,
in the tributary canyons with the thick red maples, and on the high windy ridges -- and
they dance from within the very essence of our own inner being. They do this especially
when the bright night moon shines down on the clean white snow that covers the valley
and its surroundings.  Then it is as bright as day -- but in an always soft and mysterious
and remembering way.