[Marxism] Barack Obama, where art though (OPEN LETTER)

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 16:21:09 MDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mark Lause <markalause at gmail.com> wrote:

> Secondly, it's worth observing that this particular political campaign
> deliberately mimics a movement--"people who are in motion"--but is not
> confusing itself as to what it is.  It is not a movement.  It is not
> "people in motion."  In the end, it is a consumer satisfaction survey,
> a marketing exercise.

What is your basis for saying that "it is not a movement"? I am curious.

A friend (a first-generation immigrant to the USA, now in his
middle-age, told me the following a few weeks ago):

"Over a year ago, I met friends of my daughter who
were already working full-time for Obama, willing to travel
from state to state, spending a few weeks in each place. There have
been repeated stories in the media about students
who have suspended their careers to campaign for Obama,
and about people in different communities spontaneously organizing
support groups (with advice from barackobama.com). It is this
groundswell of support that made it possible for Obama to rely on the
Internet and to campaign in every state, small and large. The media
completely overlook the movement aspect of the Obama campaign,
focusing instead on details, as if Clinton could have matched Obama
on the Web if only she had a better site, succeeded in caucus states if
only she had spent some money there, etc."