[Marxism] Gender-Race Interactions (in the Obama/Clinton constellation)

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 23:56:58 MDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Rosa Rot <roosaroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> thanks everyone who gave their view on the questions raised in my
> first post some time ago; it was very helpful as well as insightful to
> read your thoughts. At the same time, I think there's a few issues I
> might want to clarify about my original question. My main concern did
> not primarily include discussing and evaluating Clinton's and Obama's
> actions per se, but instead I was interested in the way the candidates
> and their actions are being discussed in the mainstream media

Susan Faludi has something very odd to say about this. She writes:

"If Mr. Obama's campaign has fashioned any master narrative, it's that
of the young man in the bower of a matriarchy — raised by a "strong"
mother, bolstered by a "strong" sister, married to a "strong" wife and
proud of his "strong" daughters. (Bill Clinton had a similar story,
although his handlers highlighted his efforts to save his mother from
domestic violence.)

" "In many ways, he really will be the first woman president," Megan
Beyer of Virginia, a charter member of Women for Obama, told
reporters. An op-ed essay in The New York Post headlined "Bam: Our 1st
Woman Prez?" came to a similar conclusion, if a tad more snidely:
"Those shots of Barack and Michelle sitting with Oprah on stools had
the feel of a smart, all-women talk panel." [...]

 "On MSNBC, Tucker Carlson called Mr. Obama "kind of a wuss"; Joe
Scarborough, the morning TV talk show host, dubbed Mr. Obama's bowling
style "prissy" and declared, "Americans want their president, if it's
a man, to be a real man"; and Don Imus, the radio host, never one to
be outdone in the sexual slur department, dubbed Mr. Obama a "sissy

"In choosing between Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain in the general election,
Americans will pass a referendum on 200 years of bedrock gender
mythology."

A Marxist analysis of this might be that the ruling class has so much
defanged insurgent feminism that it feels comfortable to let a
candidate who projects empathy with women become the president.