[Marxism] Priceless Gore Vidal interview

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 15 07:44:21 MDT 2008

Oops, missed the formatting on the first Q/A.

Q: At the age of 82, you will be publishing your new collection of
essays this week, which seems likely to confirm your reputation as
one of America's last public intellectuals.  Why do you think that
critics have traditionally praised your essays more than your
fiction, which includes "Burr," "Myra Breckinridge" and 20 other novels?

A: That's because they don't know how to read. I can't name three
first-rate literary critics in the United States . I'm told
there are a few hidden away at universities, but they don't print
them in The New York Times .