[Marxism] Cubans see hope for change in Obama

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 19:20:24 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
>> I appreciate you don't see any real possibility of an opening here, but can
>> you see why the Cubans might?
>
> I can see why the Cubans might say so; I haven't the slightest idea, nor
> has anyone else, what their real expectations are.

Why do you say this?

The article that Walter posted mentions that the journalist spoke with
ordinary Cubans "on the street", and that the Cubans themselves
initiated the discussion about US elections:

"In conversations in the streets, business meetings and social
gatherings, many Cubans
ask about the U.S. election, then most say they support the Democrats'
presumptive
presidential nominee over Republican rival John McCain.

" "I go for Obama," said Manuel Echevarria, 55, a hospital supervisor. "Obama
wants to look for a way to have relations, and that would be good for
Cuba. To have
a bit of hope is what we Cubans want."

" "Obama is a totally different vision," said law student Hugo Hernandez.
"First, it would be the first time an African-American gets into power and
second, the world needs change.""

Unless the reporter is lying about this (why should he?), why do you
think that the ordinary "man-on-the-street" Cubans mentioned in this
article may be expressing something different from their "real"
expectations? Why should these Cubans lie to the reporter? Maybe you
know something that we don't...please tell us.