[Marxism] Cubans see hope for change in Obama

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Jun 16 12:48:03 MDT 2008

Louis writes:

> It seems to me that the real issue is how to regard the Democratic
> Party. Marvin Gandall is on record as viewing the party as the
> equivalent of the European social democracy and as such supportable as
> the need arises. It is a question of tactics, while for
> others--including me--it is a question of principle. I don't think that
> the Democrats are our social democracy. They are our version of Canada's
>  Liberal Party rather than the NDP, to use an analogy.
Yes, that's a fair summary, except I see the Democrats as encompassing both
those who would be Liberals in Canada - notably the leadership types around
the DLC - and those, mostly at the base of the party, who are more akin to
the NDP rank-and-file in terms of their social background and the demands
and social movements which they support. You'll recall, I'm sure, our
lengthy discussion of this point several years ago.