[Marxism] Obama Calls for More Responsibility From Black Fathers

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 14:47:40 MDT 2008

All fathers, including Black fathers, really do need to spend
more time with their children. That's so obvious it's hard to
see why anyone would oppose such a thing. As far as the whole
business with child-support, that's another kettle of fish as
it's about a society which doesn't take responsibility for
the raising of children, and assumes that responsibility for
everything should rest on the individual and on the family.

Sometimes I get the impression that the feminist criticism of
the family, which is a good thing to read and think about, is
sometimes escalated up into a rejection of the institution of
the family as a whole. That is, the "a woman needs a man like
a fish needs a bicycle" kind of thinking. Not very helpful
when you don't have something else with which to replace it,
as no one I'm aware of in human life at this time really has.

We see the problems associated with family disfunction widely,
including in Cuba, where it's also a problem being looked at
and a source of concern by the leadership. Under capitalism,
social responsibility is devolved down to the individual and
the individual family, an unrealistic thing to impose on so
modest an institution. Society must take a hand in helping
the family to fulfill its responsibilities, but the family
can't be dispensed with by wishing that it were so.

More parental responsibility within the family? Yes!

Walter Lippmann
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
GRANMA
June 16, 2008

Father of Child Elian Gonzalez Pleased with Son's Accomplishments

MARIA ELENA ALVAREZ PONCE

"This is one of the happiest moments of my life," said Juan Miguel
Gonzalez, and it was enough to see the look on his face to know that
he wasn't exaggerating in summarizing his feelings at seeing his son
Elian receive his card as a member of the Young Communist League
(UJC).

Father and son embraced each other with the same tenderness as ever.
However, this time the boy is not in his arms nor has to stand on his
toes to kiss him. He now stands as tall as his dad and his voice is
deeper, signs that adolescence arrived and, soon, there will be
another man in the house.

Elian is among the more than 18,000 ninth graders who are part of the
political vanguard of Cuban young people and were welcomed into the
UJC on June 14, the birth date of two key figures in Cuban history:
General Antonio Maceo and Commander Ernesto Che Guevara.

"I am honored to receive this membership; at the same time it's a big
commitment, that of being on par with the young people who taught
literacy, who cleared the Escambray Mountains of
counterrevolutionaries or who fought in Angola," said Elian, who
added, "You can earn it, but what's even more important is
maintaining it and we will have to make an effort."

Having finished junior high school, Elian will enter the Camilitos
military school in September. "It's the least I can do, someone like
me who owes so much to this country and the revolution: train well,
very well, to defend the country under any circumstance."

When I asked Elian's father what he is like; without thinking twice
Juan Miguel said that he is very calm, happy, affectionate, likes
being at home, a lover of music and sports, reads a lot and spends
hours in front of the television.

"Elian has given me the greatest gift I could hope for Father's Day.
I have lived this happiness twice, when I was given the UJC
affiliation and now; but, this is without a doubt what I have most
enjoyed, as a communist and as a father, seeing my oldest son follow
my footsteps in life.

"Once I was asked if I though Elian might leave the country after
growing up. At the time I responded that I didn't think so, for two
essential reasons. The upbringing my parents gave me that I would
pass on to my son, and due to his own life's experiences, because
when he learned how much his people fought for him, he would be
incapable of betraying them."

"Fidel made no mistake in beginning that battle," said Juan Miguel
Gonzalez. "That brings to another, undertaken by his family and
school to make him, as the leader of the Revolution asked, into a
model child worthy of his history, friendliness and talent, so that
besides being a normal citizen, he is a symbol, an example and a
glory for all Cuban children."

This work is now in progress, today confirms that. (ACN)

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"