[Marxism] US slaps Eritrea as "aggressor" vs. Djibouti, US-British military base

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 16 18:03:55 MDT 2008

Fred wrote:
>Eritrea is now one of Cuba's closest friends in Africa. The country has
>achieved some major social gains (after independence, with Cuban help) in
>the areas of literacy (almost universal) and medical care. This is a
>genuinely mass based regime, a product of a real revolutionary struggle.

I don't want to open up old debates, but some comrades viewed
Eritrean nationalism as reactionary using the template of Yugoslavia.
The fact that Eritrea was manipulated by Mussolini of course helped
this misunderstanding along. For me, the real question is how and why
Ethiopia has become such a gendarme state. This must have been
building up for some while.