[Marxism] Obama Calls for More Responsibility From Black Fathers

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 21:30:26 MDT 2008

For those who want to read Obama's speech, rather than the New York Times
article about it, it is here:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/stateupdates/gG5nFK

Interestingly, he had room for some statistics:

"We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent
households, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We
know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times
more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop
out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more
likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage
parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it."

But other statistics, like the fact that the black poverty rate is three times
higher than the rate for "non-Hispanic whites," or that the black unemployment
rate is more than twice that of "non-Hispanic whites," didn't find their way
into his speech. Indeed, aside from irresponsible fathers, the only hint in the
speech that there might be some societal connection to this issue came in this
paragraph:

"Yes, we need more cops on the street. Yes, we need fewer guns in the hands of
people who shouldn’t have them. Yes, we need more money for our schools, and
more outstanding teachers in the classroom, and more afterschool programs for
our children. Yes, we need more jobs and more job training and more opportunity
in our communities."

Two words that definitely aren't found anywhere in the speech? "Racism" and
"discrimination."

He does think that there is a role for government in dealing with the alleged
problem:

"We should be making it easier for fathers who make responsible choices and
harder for those who avoid them. We should get rid of the financial penalties we
impose on married couples right now, and start making sure that every dime of
child support goes directly to helping children instead of some bureaucrat. We
should reward fathers who pay that child support with job training and job
opportunities and a larger Earned Income Tax Credit that can help them pay the
bills. We should expand programs where registered nurses visit expectant and new
mothers and help them learn how to care for themselves before the baby is born
and what to do after – programs that have helped increase father involvement,
women’s employment, and children’s readiness for school. We should help these
new families care for their children by expanding maternity and paternity leave,
and we should guarantee every worker more paid sick leave so they can stay home
to take care of their child without losing their income."