[Marxism] Cynthia McKinney's Call to Action

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 22:04:55 MDT 2008

Cynthia McKinney's Call to Action
in Support of Dennis Kucinich's Articles of Impeachment Against Bush

(statement also posted on http://www.runcynthiarun.org, the website
of Cynthia McKinney's Power to the People presidential campaign)

With great satisfaction I learned of the courageous action taken by
Congressman Dennis Kucinich on Monday, June 9th. On that day, on the
floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, he rose to introduce
House Resolution 1258, containing 35 Articles of Impeachment against
President George W. Bush. The litany of documented High Crimes and
constitutional abuses by the Bush administration took over five hours
to recite.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank and commend Rep. Kucinich
for his courage and tenacity, for the comprehensiveness of his
research, and for the leadership he exhibited to press forward the
democratic demands of the People for accountability and justice.

Under House Rule 9, which Rep. Kucinich invoked in introducing H.Res.
1258 -- "a question of the privileges of the House" -- the full House
of Representatives was compelled within 48 hours to bring the matter
to a vote. Consequently, two days later, on Wednesday, June 11th, our
Congressional Representatives voted overwhelmingly (by a 251-166
margin) to refer the matter to the House Judiciary Committee, chaired
by Congressman John Conyers. Kucinich's Articles of Impeachment
effectively lay out the case against a lawless, degenerate regime
that places corporate power and profits above the good and welfare of
the U.S. Citizenry. In great detail they show that Bush & Co.:

- manufactured a fraudulent case for the Iraq war, lying to Congress
and the American People;

- invaded Iraq illegally for the purpose of occupying a sovereign
nation indefinitely and expropriating its public oil reserves and
other natural resources for their billionaire cronies of corporate
America;

- negligently failed to provide protective gear to our troops;

- outsourced the functions of the U.S. military and created a no-bid,
private-contractor mercenary force which killed Iraqis with impunity
and looted the treasuries of both the Iraqi and U.S. governments;

- tore up the United Nations Charter, the Geneva Conventions, the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and other binding
international treaties to which the U.S. is signatory;

- retaliated against government whistleblowers attempting to shine a
light on corruption, malfeasance and unconstitutional abuse of power;

- began illegal detentions without trial or access to counsel of U.S.
citizens and foreign nationals alike;

- countenanced kidnapping and torture;

- created secret laws;

- unconstitutionally spied on American citizens without a court
order; and the list goes on and on.

Each fact exhibited in Rep. Kucinich's 35 Articles of Impeachment is
true beyond dispute, and each by itself is sufficient to demonstrate
the need to remove this criminal President and his gang of thugs from
the Executive Branch -- not least of all because most if not all of
the crimes are still ongoing.

But, as a Black woman from the South familiar with the struggle
against discrimination and racism, I am moved most profoundly, in
particular, by three of the Articles of Impeachment that I think
serve to point out the real sickness of this regime -- the fact that
for Blacks, for Latinos, for Native Americans, for all peoples of
color, and for much of the white working class, democracy has never
really existed in the United States, and that today the limited gains
in the direction of "a more perfect Union" that were won in struggle
two generations ago are now being reversed through the deliberate,
illegal policies of the gang that has taken over the government.

I'm referring to:

- Article 28 -- Tampering with Free and Fair Elections, Corruption of
the Administration of Justice;

- Article 29 -- Conspiracy to Violate the Voting Rights Act of 1965;
and

- Article 31 -- Katrina: Failure to Plan for the Predicted Disaster
of Hurricane Katrina, Failure to Respond to a Civil Emergency.

Therefore, I am hereby putting out an urgent call to all the
progressive forces throughout this country -- including first and
foremost the democratic forces of the Black community, together with
my supporters in the Green Party, organizers of the Reconstruction
Party, and most especially Katrina survivors -- to mobilize
specifically around these three Articles.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, one thing we have learned
through Barack Obama's success in capturing the Democratic Party
nomination -- when everyone knows Hillary Clinton had been anointed
by the Democratic Party apparatus -- is that the People, when they
mobilize at the grassroots, can "flip the script" on the Power
Structure.

This past Monday, backed up by the sustained pressure of a persistent
mass movement for impeachment, Dennis Kucinich succeeded in "flipping
the script" on the House Democratic leadership, and now the Articles
of Impeachment are before the Judiciary Committee -- precisely the
result that the impeachment movement has been fighting for over the
last five years!

Today we find that the ball is back in our court. It's up to the
People now to "flip the script" once again. A massive grassroots
movement of the People must coalesce very quickly, which can move
Chairman Conyers and the House Judiciary Committee to hold hearings
on H.Res. 1258. I call upon all the forces of the Black movement
nationwide -- whether they currently support my presidential bid or
the candidacy of Senator Obama, along with all my Green and
Reconstructionist supporters, Katrina survivors and their supporters,
the election protection movement, and all progressive forces -- to
organize a mass mobilization to push the House Judiciary Committee to
move on the 35 Articles of Impeachment, with an explicit emphasis on
the Black demands for fairness, equality and justice as laid out in
Articles 28, 29 and 31.

I propose that all these social movements immediately combine in
their local Congressional districts to organize street
demonstrations, send delegations to their Congress members, and take
any and all other steps necessary, including the formation of ad-hoc
action committees, to publicize Articles 28, 29 and 31 and convince
their representatives to co-sponsor H.Res. 1258. Time is of the
essence, brothers and sisters; it's necessary that we all swing into
motion now.

Such efforts must especially focus on our Black members of Congress.
Most important, activists in districts represented by the Black
members of the House Judiciary Committee must most energetically
target their representatives: Chairman John Conyers of Detroit; Bobby
Scott of Richmond, Virginia; Mel Watt of Western North Carolina;
Sheila Jackson-Lee of Houston; Maxine Waters of Los Angeles; my own
distinguished successor in office, Hank Johnson of Atlanta; Luis
Gutiérrez of Chicago; Artur Davis of Black-Belt Alabama; and Keith
Ellison of Minneapolis-St. Paul.

In the coming days and weeks, I will be announcing some concrete
steps I intend to take to assist in the development of the mass
movement it will take to ensure that accountability and justice are
imposed upon the lawless Bush gang. Immediately, I am instructing my
campaign staff to assist by setting up internet resources through my
campaign website, RunCynthiaRun.org, that will be useful to local
activists in conducting their organizing.

We have seen in this very election cycle how the mobilized masses,
with Black America as their indispensable animating force, can "flip
the script" on the Powers That Be. The time is now for us to do it
again.

Keep the faith, my beautiful, powerful People!

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"