[Marxism] Obama Calls for More Responsibility From Black Fathers

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 00:25:08 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Mike Friedman <mikedf at amnh.org> wrote:

> In this society, the most that you can hope to legislate is parental
> responsibility for the material well-being and physical integrity of
> children. HOWEVER, as the NOW statement points out, this is not only
> meaningless,

Why is this "meaningless"?

> but victim-blaming and scapegoating in the absence of social
> supports and a social policy that guarantee jobs, health-care, daycare, a
> decent education, etc. In fact, It becomes a way of diverting attention
> from precisely society's responsibility for children's wellbeing by
> blaming the evident failure in this regard on "dead-beat dads."

True. But focusing *only* on social supports and social policy can
equally become a way of diverting attention from precisely the
father's responsibility to his children.

Clearly, *both* social and individual/paternal effort are needed here.

Also, please let us not be politically correct and ignore the fact
that cultural factors do play a role. I have often heard it argued
that the disruption of family which was routine in slavery led to a
diminished expectation, within black culture for black fathers, and
higher cultural tolerance for the father being "absent". This seems at
least reasonable to me. This is not "blaming the victim", but
acknowledging the historico-cultural  roots/reasons for a cultural
tragedy.

To ascribe all causality for  everything *mechanically* to economics
is vulgar-marxism.

--RC.

P.S. I know that Mike Friedman will call me a racist for saying this. Let him.