[Marxism] Big Stakes in Venezuela's November Regional Elections

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:37:48 MDT 2008

"Chavez, who described the upcoming regional elections as "the most
important in Venezuelan history," outlined what is at stake: "Imagine
if the opposition groups managed to win the mayor of the Capital
District, the mayor of Caracas, the state of Miranda, the state of
Carabobo, Zulia, Tachira, Anzoategui, the next step would be war,
because they would come for me, once again we would be in the same
situation as April 11," he said in reference to the April 2002
US-backed coup against the Chavez government. [...]

"Discontent, demoralization, and demobilization have impacted on the
popular forces, as many blame bureaucracy and corruption for
sabotaging the revolutionary process, undermining both the social
gains and blocking genuine popular power."

<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/jf100608.html>