[Marxism] McKinney, Glick, Browder

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jun 17 20:02:44 MDT 2008

Fred:
>In that election, the CP concentrated their fire primarily on Roosevelt,
>presenting their campaign as independent more than in 1936 since they could
>count on any votes they won basically coming from Roosevelt's working-class
>and farmer base. They did not aggressively propagandize for Willkie as they
>had for Roosevelt in 1936, the election I think Louis is actually referring
>to, when Roosevelt ran against the Kansas Republican Landon (a liberal
>Republican actually, but bound by a very reactionary anti-New Deal
>platform).

Right, I did mean Landon.

>In any case, I think Louis' tendency to identify McKinney's class-national
>politics with Browderism is wrong.

No, I said that I didn't make such an identity. To repeat, the only
point I was making was that Walter keeps harping on the need to
"defeat McCain" in the way that the CPUSA used to go on about Landon.
In fact, the Browder campaign--like McKinney's was a break from the 2
party system even if only on a propagandistic basis.

>Whereas I think what McKinney and those who support her, including the
>Reconstruction Party, represent initial strivings toward something like a
>Morales or Chavez campaign. Something that this country needs more than any
>of us are yet capable of imagining.

I hope you're right. I just don't see that much motion except on the
Internet. From what I can remember, the Reconstruction Party was more
of an idea than anything else. I am willing of course to be corrected.