[Marxism] STATEMENT BY ACADEMICS AND ACTIVISTS ON THE HARASSMENT OF ASHIS NANDY ---

Xxxzx Xzyyxzxzxx xxyzxxxxxx at xzxxx.xxx
Wed Jun 18 12:12:53 MDT 2008

Why is Nandy the target?

It seems the article was published in  the Times of India. My
understanding is that when
a writer submits an article to a publishing body, he/she surrenders
its editorial content and copyright to the publisher.

About the Indian Penal code, here's what I found on the internet about
what it states. I don't  know what 153 (A), (B) states exactly , but
somewhere on the internet it states that rarely has anyone been held
guilty of 153 (A).

Section 153. Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot-if
rioting be committed-if not committed

http://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/IndianPenalCode/S153.htm

Whoever malignantly, or wantonly, by doing anything which is illegal,
gives provocation to any person intending of knowing it to be likely
that such provocation will cause the offence of rioting to be
committed, shall, if the offence of rioting be committed in
consequence of such provocation, be punished with imprisonment of
either description for a term which may extend to one year, or with
fine, or with both ; and if the offence of rioting be not committed,
imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six
months, or with fine, or with both.

About National Council for Civil Liberties
http://www.ncclindia.org/founders.html

The National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) was founded in March
1991 by Vinai Kumar Saxena, a senior corporate executive and an ardent
nationalist, joining hands with a group of friends, relatives and
acquaintances.

Well, given the above, Mr. Saxena should feel aggrieved that the times
of India, should publish an article from Nandy blaming the middle
classes.

He  can't take  on the times of India. The media group would swallow
him. So he took on Nandy. Besides, Nandy has been anti-Modi since
long, of course  the gujarath govt. would like to harass  Nandy. He is
not their friend!

I like to read  Nandy. Nandy does have  a problem with the word
'secularism', but he has
been exemplary in critiquing the hindu right.

'Blame the middle classes' is valid.  But it should be said the
backbone of the Indian middle class system is its high valuation of
the traditional family roles and values. A big culprit is the sari
wearing Indian woman who has a lot to gain from upholding the Indian
middle class system.

Indian men justify their corporate earnings saying they do it  for
their mothers, daughters, sisters and wife. The India women have never
said "don't do your dirty deeds for my sake."  They do profit from the
system.

Nandy should extend his critique of the middle classes to the indian
family system and the indian woman.

You  have my consent to the statement.

Xxxzx

Xxxzx Xzyyxzxzxx