[Marxism] US indigenous tribe Pebenscot struggle, with Venezuelan help

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Wed Jun 18 13:48:28 MDT 2008

Les Schaffer wrote:
> i used to lead canoe trips down the Penobscot in the mid 60's. gorgeous
> country back then, for the most part, but occasionally we'd see pulp
> mills on isolated stretches of the river.
>
> International Paper Company:

hit the Send button by accident. was going to say that the International
Paper Company was one of the large owners of land along the river at
that time.  and a quick google just now shows they sold a lot of their
land to "forest investment" firms. god help the land, the river, and the
Penobscots. i bet the local non-indigenous populations are not faring so
well either.

Les

November 10, 2004, International Paper announced a definitive agreement
to sell its Maine and New Hampshire forestlands, totaling approximately
1.1 million acres, to GMO Renewable Resources, LLC, (GMORR) a private
forest investment management company, for approximately $250 million, or
about $250/acre. The new landowner plans on keeping the land in SFI
certification.