[Marxism] fronting for Morales

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 18 21:27:06 MDT 2008

Stuart's assessment was and is right on the money.
The Bolivian GOVERNMENT has broken from imperialism.

The STATE of Bolivia remains capitalist, however, in
a situation not structurally different from that of
Venezuela: Revolutionary government presiding over a
capitalist state. That's not a stable situation which
can last forever, though the situation has continued
in Venezuela for ten years.

Morales's government is leading the country in a very
positive direction: toward ALBA, Cuba, Venezuela, and
other areas. He's promoting literacy and education as
part of the steps needed to deepen the self-confidence
among the oppressed workers and peasants of Bolivia.

Whether he will succeed in the long term remains to
be seen over time. But with all the pot-shotters who
spend their time attacking him from the comfortable
posture of perfectionistic ultra-leftism, little can
be understood or accomplished.

And as far as those soviets, they are a spontaneous
mass form which can arise at times in history, and
can also decline. But they cannot be simply called
into existence by a government, because they won't
then have the authenticity of having arisen from
the living struggles of the class and the Indian
peoples themselves.

It's not easy, but it's necessary to recognize that
is and what isn't, and to support that which is even
as we want to also understand what isn't.

Walter Lippmann
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
STUART MUNCTON wrote
>liberating the government from imperialism and the oligarchy is an important
>victory and one the counterrevolutionary forces are currently working
>overtime to overturn.
>
>Whatever weaknesses and limitations, it is quite clear that Morales has at
>least done something right to led the movement this far."

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"