[Marxism] fronting for Morales

Fred Fuentes fred.fuentes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 22:55:39 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:42 PM, S. Artesian <sartesian at earthlink.net> wrote:
> No permanent warpath on my part, Walter.   But I there might be short-term
> memory loss on yours.  Who do you think organized the blockades?

A variety of organisations ranging from the neighbourhood councils in
El Alto to the MAS aligned cocaleros to the cooperative miners who
were crucial in the mobilisation to Sucre and who today oppose the
government because it has choosen to nationalise mines and attack the
capitalist interests in the mining sector disguised as cooperatives.

> The parliament?

of course not

> The MAS opposition in parliament?

To say they played no role is pure fantasy

Who seized the fields?

campesinos and El Alto neighbours in large part, many of whom had no
idea of how to run the installations. See what Jeffery Webber, no
friend of MAS or Morales wrote:

"During the May–June mobilizations, roadblocks took place in each of
the nine departments of Bolivia. El Alto, led by FEJUVE–El Alto,
successfully launched and sustained a three-week-long general strike
throughout the shantytown, blocking access roads to La Paz. Prices of
basic food stuffs rose, and gasoline and natural gas supplies
effectively dried up in the capital. For good measure, the Senkata
gasoline plant in El Alto was barricaded and kept under vigil by
strikers twenty-four hours a day during the period of mobilization.

Indigenous groups in the eastern part of the country—historically less
radical and independent than those in the altiplano—occupied oil and
gas wellhead sites to cut the flow of these resources, an act of
solidarity with the struggles that eventually became nationwide."
http://www.monthlyreview.org/0905webber.htm

He also wrote at that time:

"It is far too early to determine what will transpire. The movement
bases are mobilized in incredibly impressive numbers, but lack a
coherent political project for state power. The neoliberal state is in
crisis, but has persisted against the odds thus far. How the military
will respond to each development is also unclear. If the popular-bloc
manages to articulate a unified political project beyond mobilization,
the consequences will be of massive significance both for Bolivia and
Latin America as a whole."
http://www.internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article816

Far from a simple view that Bolivia was on the verge of a workers
state i would say. We can add to this the huge problems that El Alto
had to subminister gas to the community, i big part of why the
blockades were quickly disband. Once we put aside fantasy and look
closer at reality we can see that revolution is not as simple as
revolutionary dual power versus reformist sell outs....

In solidarity
Fred

The