[Marxism] fronting for Morales

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 19 07:29:05 MDT 2008

Stuart,

You provide a well thought out and well written survey of the difficulties
and conflicting forces at work in Bolivia.  Certainly victories can be
partial.  They can be transitory.  And they can be reversed.
We seem to agree that the progress that has been achieved is the result of
the strength of the popular movement.  Clearly that strength and that
movement is outside the parliamentary channels.  The reason I believe the
election, and program, of the MAS represents-- if 1 step forward-- at least
1 step back, is that the self-organization of workers and poor, in urban and
rural areas, will be suspended, interrupted, at the very least, and
forcefully suppressed at worst.

While I think that the nationalization enacted under Morales should be
supported, it is a critical support, and I do not think such
nationalizations will be will be effective, will materially resolve the
conflicts at the heart of the struggle in Bolivia, nor do I think the
nationalizations will be sustained or avoid being reduced to a symbolic
gesture, without that fundamental transfer of power to those class-based,
unparliamentary organs.

More than that, if we look at the history of the "national revolution" in
Bolivia, under the MNR and/or under the "left-wing" military before and
after the MNR, we clearly see that the national component always shrinks in
terror and opposes the real revolutionary component, which in Bolivia is a
class based movement for the seizure of property. More than give way to, the
"national" "democratic"  component  calls forth, and in the case of the MNR
actually rearms,  counterrevolution against that working class based
movement.