[Marxism] 2008 Asian Film Festival

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 19 15:25:22 MDT 2008

In an era of rising real estate prices and falling construction cranes,
New York no longer has the allure for me that it once did. Among the
charms are the film festivals that present independent, documentary and
foreign films that are not likely to be seen anywhere else in the U.S.
By far, the most eagerly awaited of these for me is the Asian Film
Festival hosted by Subway Cinema and organized by the indefatigable
Grady Hendrix who I salute for his creativity, hard work and
organizational talents.

The festival begins tomorrow and information, including a schedule, can
be found at http://www.subwaycinema.com/. This year I saw 6 of the films
in advance and-as always-am impressed with the high quality of Asian
films. Often using a tiny fraction of what it costs to make a Hollywood
blockbuster, they produce some really quality work. I strongly urge New
Yorkers to attend the festival. I also invite non-New Yorkers to
continue reading this article in order to find out about some movies
that hopefully will be available in your local theaters or on DVD someday.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/2008-asian-film-festival/