[Marxism] If we don't get George W. Bush's third term...

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 19 18:04:21 MDT 2008

If Barack Obama does what Barack Obama says he will do, and says it
over and over and over again, he will permit Cuban-Americans to go
to Cuba to see their families without limitations, and he will also
lift the Bush-imposed ceiling on family remittances, it will make a
substantial dent in Washington's blockade against the island.

While I cannot predict whether or not Obama's lifting of the curbs
on Cuban-Americans visiting the island will have a further effect
of making it easier for the rest of us to go, or if he will also
cut funding for OFAC enforcement actions, which is a possibility
which ought not to be excluded, it will become a political factor
within the United States as more and more Cubans themselves go to
Cuba and see that the entire population isn't walking around in
shackles and chains, as most people in the United States have got
the impression through the past half-century of U.S. media lying.

There are plenty of matters, virtually all of Obama's policies,
on which you can criticize him and you'll receive no quarrel from
me because I'll agree with you. But the constant harping against
Obama on Cuba, where his position is notably, though by no means
qualitatively, different from that of Bush/McCain, is simply and
obviously politically wrong, in my opinion.

Walter Lippmann
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
ELI STEPHENS (whom I also like) writes:
Obama has quite explicitly EXCLUDED the "rest of the U.S. population"
from his proposal to ease travel to Cuba, just as he has excluded
dropping the blockade, or even lightening it, until Cuba "changes" to
his satisfaction.

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"