[Marxism] If we don't get George W. Bush's third term...

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:54:23 MDT 2008

Walter, I like you, we share a lot of common interests, but this is just getting
silly; in response to my post about Obama praising (and hinting he might employ)
members of the George H.W. Bush administration, a post which didn't even mention
Cuba, you write:

"From what he writes, apparently, Eli Stephens thinks opening up travel to the
island by Cuban-Americans and the rest of the U.S. population is not important."

I don't expect you to commit my posts to memory, but just three days ago, in
response to Marvin, but also in a thread in which you were an active
participant, I wrote this, and I'll put the most relevant sentence in ALL CAPS:

"Indeed, I wouldn't even go as far as Walter, who wrote yesterday: "In principal
there are no significant, meaningful or fundamental differences between Obama
and John McCain. Both support capitalism and imperialism."

The second sentence is clearly true, and it's why *I* wouldn't give the
slightest consideration to supporting either one. But the first statement is
clearly false; I doubt even Ralph Nader would agree with it. CLEARLY there are
differences between the two, on both foreign policy and a whole host of domestic
issues, both economic and "social" (abortion, gay rights, etc.). The definition
of "significant, meaningful, or fundamental" is obviously subjective, but, just
to name one group, IT'S OBVIOUS THAT, TO A CUBAN FAMILY WHO WILL HAVE THE
OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THEIR MIAMI RELATIVES MORE OFTEN, THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE BOTH
  SIGNIFICANT AND MEANINGFUL ("fundamental" is probably another story). When I
wrote "The fact that Cubans see more hope for change in Obama than in McCain is
hardly surprising," perhaps you took it as sarcastic, but it was no such thing.
It was a simple statement of fact."

Now if you want to subscribe to lesser evil politics and support a candidate who
has even the most slightly favorable stance vis-a-vis Cuba vs. the other
candidate, regardless that both are strong imperialists, that's your business
(and actually, from what you write, you don't, you support McKinney). Just call
it what it is, though.

Oh, and by the way, with regard to your statement that "Eli Stephens thinks
opening up travel to the island by Cuban-Americans and the rest of the U.S.
population is not important," it seems I have to remind you once again, although
you warned me against being a "missionaries whose self-selected assignment is to
save us from the illusions they attribute to us," that Obama has quite
explicitly EXCLUDED the "rest of the U.S. population" from his proposal to ease
travel to Cuba, just as he has excluded dropping the blockade, or even
lightening it, until Cuba "changes" to his satisfaction.