[Marxism] Ahmadinejad: US planned to sieze me in Iraq, as Bush pressed for attacks

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jun 20 01:29:31 MDT 2008

Friday, June 20, 2008
Ahmadinejad: 'I was Almost Kidnapped by Bush'

The USG Open Source Center translates an article in Tabnak saying that
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is alleging that the US had planned to
abduct him when he visited Baghdad in March, but that the plan was foiled.
Ahmadinejad is also said to have alleged that Bush sought to attack Iran
twice recently, but was forestalled by the opposition of his own officer
corps.

Iran's President Discloses US 'Calculated Plan' For His Abduction in Iraq
Tabnak Online
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Document Type: OSC Translated Text

A Tabnak correspondent has reported: During a meeting today with members of
the Qom Theological Lecturers Association, our country's president has
disclosed that a US plan to abduct him in Iraq and transfer him to the US
has failed.

According to one of the lecturers present at the meeting, Dr Ahmadinezhad
added: Simultaneous with my visit to Iraq, the Americans intended to carry
out a calculated plan to abduct me and transfer me to the US so that they
could use the issue of terrorism as an excuse to blackmail the Islamic
Republic.

The president continued: Despite this, praise be to God, the changes which
were made to my travel schedule spoilt their plan. They were taken by
surprise and realized what had happened when I was flying back to Iran. This
was whilst we didn't even visit the Green Zone, which is Baghdad's safest
area. The interesting point is that Bush, the US president, hasn't even
stayed overnight in Iraq.

Elsewhere, the president said: Twice, Bush made a serious decision to attack
Iran this year and last year. However, this country failed to take such
action due to opposition from its military commanders.

The president said that attacking Iran had become Bush's obsession, and
added: He even proposed to his advisors that they attack one or two Iranian
cities. However, after the advisors disagreed, he called for Iran's sound
barrier to be broken. But, every time Bush's advisors and military
commanders stressed that any attack on Iran would create a hell which would
be against US interests.

He stressed: God willing, US officials will take this wish to the grave with
them.

(Description of Source: Tehran Tabnak Online in Persian -- is a conservative
Persian website replacing the banned Baztab. It is believed to be associated
with the former IRGC commander and the Expediency Discernment Council
Secretary Major General Mohsen Reza'i. URL: http://www.tabnak.ir)

posted by Juan Cole @ 6/20/2008 12:33:00 AM 0 comments |