[Marxism] Cuba's wage changes not a return to capitalism ... Re: IsCuba Done With Equality?

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 11:01:59 MDT 2008

Of course we can measure labor productivity; we can particularly do that on
the "macro" scale:  how much of the population is required to spend how much
of its time in agricultural labor is about the clearest measure of
productivity you can find.

The problem with the introduction of wage-tiers, or in its most extreme
form,  piecework, is that this things do not occur in a vacuum-- they occur
and will occur in conjunction with greater reliance on market exchange;
greater flexibility in allowing the private employment of the laborers, as
the government measures productivity on the basis of output per worker, and
output assumes an exchange value.  The assessment of "value" will be forced
to conform more and more to market value.  If tourism brings in the largest
amount of foreign currency, and Cuba needs just that currency to augment
producitivity of any other sector, then tourism, despite its economic,
social, and environmental impacts will be encouraged.  If nickel prices
continue to increase and provide greater returns for the government does
that mean nickel workers should be paid more than others?  Those are some of
the issues in moving away from "egalitarianism."