[Marxism] More Russert skewering

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Jun 21 08:51:34 MDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2008/06/russert-rule.html
> Thursday, June 19, 2008
> The Russert Rule
> ...Moynihan worked in the Nixon administration where he
> helped develop Nixon's Civil Rights policy of "benign neglect" toward
> African-Americans where nothing was actually accomplished even though
> it appeared on the surface that progress was being made...

Not to suggest that Nixon was more (or less) "liberal" than his
Dumbocratic counterparts, but this perfectly inverts the meaning of
Moynihan's phrase.
"Benign" neglect is precisely the purpose (honestly advocated or not)
that "progress would be made" while "on the surface" it would appear
that "nothing was actually being accomplished."  However, I don't
think Nixon ever took his advice: on the contrary, by initiating the
"ultra-liberal" program known as "affirmative action" he gave new
vitality to lower-class white racism--a policy that deserves to be
called "malign attention."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to
be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos