[Marxism] How Iran would retaliate if it came to war

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 09:29:51 MDT 2008

Fred wrote:

"I tend to think the current round of threats is aimed at pressuring Iran for
concessions in a variety of areas and does not presage a military attack
soon. It is a campaign of intimidation."

It is that, but indirectly. What it is really aimed at is strengthening alleged
Iranian "moderates" to take power from alleged Iranian "hardliners," who will
then be more amenable to "accommodation" (submission) to the West. Which has a
certain basis in reality, but a far larger one in fantasy. On the issue of
nuclear power in particular, as far as I can tell, there is no significant
support among any segment of the Iranian population or leadership to cede their
sovereignty by accepting a situation in which their supply of enriched uranium
is dependent on the cooperation of other countries, cooperation which could be
denied in an instant (indeed, the approach of using economic measures like
freezing bank accounts to force Iran to accept such a situation is surely
counterproductive, since it demonstrates precisely what the West can and will do
when it does have leverage over some aspect of Iran's economy).