[Marxism] [Pen-l] Michael Hudson: The game is over

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 13:01:03 MDT 2008

Reason 1:  Historical prejudice [not patriotism]:  during the 1970s, there
were all sorts of speculations that the EU (then known as EEC if I can
remember that far back ) would replace the US which was seen in terminal
decline; and then came OPEC 2.  Then Japan was going to replace the US,
based on superior labor productivity [yes, as you said, it certainly does
exist, and the bourgeoisie love to measure it-- hours per car]; but then
along came the Plaza Accords.... and the Japan's long recession.

Reason 2:  The superior ability of the US bourgeoisie to beat the living
f++k out of its domestic working class, and redistribute income upwards and
loss, austerity, deprivation downwards on an expanding basis.

Reason 3:  I think overproduction is behind the once and future predicaments
of capital-- and overproduction is manifested most acutely in declining
rates of return, declining profit margins.  U.S. seems to be  better at
offsetting this than Europe or Japan.  And...overproduction really operates
on the global platform.  Europe and Asia, with economies more dependent on
exports, and exports to the U.S. will experience what the U.S. experience
without the U.S. advantage in offsets.

Reason 4.  Sum of all the above:  the absolute, unrestrained , willingness
of the US  bourgeoisie to lay waste to everything at home and abroad for an
extra dime.