[Marxism] RAILWAY GAZETTE: Cuban diesels shipped from China

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sat Jun 21 17:24:11 MDT 2008

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 05:40:01 -0400 (EDT), Walter Lippmann wrote:

> RAILWAY GAZETTE
> Cuban diesels shipped from China

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news_view/article/2008/06/8557/cuban_diese
ls_shipped_from_china.html

 I saw that item, too, and was excited. But...

> The first 11 of 40 type DF7G-C diesel-electric locomotives ordered
> from China Northern's February 7th Locomotive Works in Beijing were
> shipped from the Chinese port of Tianjin on June 12.

  This actually happened in December 2005. See this article from Granma

> <http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2005/12/05/nacional/artic03.html>

  "Las primeras locomotoras exportadas por China a América Latina fueron
embarcadas ayer en el puerto de Tianjín del nordeste del gigante
asiático con destino a Cuba, con vistas a fortalecer el sistema
ferroviario de la Isla.

Se trata de 12 máquinas modelo DF7G-C, diésel eléctricas, con 2 500
caballos de fuerza, dotadas de moderna tecnología e instrumentos de
última generación, que por su peso y racional consumo de combustible se
ajustan a las necesidades del sistema ferroviario cubano, dio a conocer
la agencia de noticias Prensa Latina."

  See other articles from Granma

  this one from January 2006 on assigning those locomotives to the
railway traction maintenance yard in Havana:

> <http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2006/01/16/nacional/artic06.html>

  this one from February 2006 on the first test runs with those
locomotives

> <http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2006/02/13/nacional/artic01.html>

  and this one from July 2006 on the first months of practical
experience with the locomotives from China:

> <http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2006/07/14/nacional/artic02.html>

  I don't understand how this old item gets onto the top place of the
"news" list on the online edition of the "Railway Gazette
International" this Friday in late June, 2008. It is nice, though, that
they bring that back into memory.

  What I am astonished, too, is that the manufacturer of these
locomotives, the "China Northern Locomotive & Rolling Stock Industry
(group) corporation" (<http://www.cnrgc.com>) is presenting the DF7
series as shunting locomotives

<http://www.cnrgc.com/LISTS/product/_MAINPAGE/product/default3.aspx?id=2
49>

  while in Cuba they are used for main line services, like pulling the
"French train" between Havanna and Santiago de Cuba.

  Also some of the data shown on the product page linked above do not
conform with the data given in the Granma articles; I think of the axle
load with CNRGC gives as 23 tons (varying by 3%) while the Cubans write
of 20 tons.

  BTW, I would like to learn more about the "recuperación ferroviario"
in Cuba. And what is this "tren frances" -- did the SNCF sell a full
train set of CORAIL cars?

Comradely yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany