[Marxism] working-class unity in Israel/Palestine

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:33:04 MDT 2008

See http://www.labourstart.org/cgi-bin/show_news.pl?country=Israel
for just some of the latest examples of class action in Israel.
Yes, the Jewish working class there is about as backward, perhaps more so,
 as the white workers in apartheid South Africa, or in the Jim Crow South.
But writing them off as one, even if a subordinate actor, in the
working-class revolution
which is required (and will be led by Palestinian and all other Arab workers
in the region),
leads to the spine-chilling rationalization for individualist,
petty-bourgeois tactics of terrorism
given by Walter below:

Israel is, as you say, weaker than ever, and yet there is so far
as I'm able to tell at this distance, something approximating
ZERO anti-capitalist class consciousness in the Israeli working
class. Perhaps that's something you should think about, reflect
on, and give us some explanation of. I'm not blaming you, but
I am asking you to face this unpleasant reality and try to give
some accounting for why you think this continues to be. It's not
easy to give up privileges. Sometimes that has to be imposed on
people. Suicide bombers try to get Israelis to understand that
Zionism has costs, but they do so on an individualized basis.

I think it's a matter of racism and privilege. What do you think?

Remember:
War is the terrorism of the rich.
Terrorism is the war of the poor.