[Marxism] Is Lebanon on the verge of a new fighting?

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 22 19:07:48 MDT 2008

Walter,

Here's what you wrote:

" and yet there is so far
as I'm able to tell at this distance, something approximating
ZERO anti-capitalist class consciousness in the Israeli working
class. Perhaps that's something you should think about, reflect
on, and give us some explanation of. I'm not blaming you"
______
My comments:

1. We  have the same argument in essence appearing in a number of difference
forms. [Hats off to Hegel].   Is there a working class?  Can it seize power?
Must it seize power as a class conscious entity to the exclusions of other
"forms" of consciousness, i.e.forming a coalition under the banner of
national consciousness?  In the wake of the defeat of workers, and the
balance sheet on this is definitely weighted towards the bourgeoisie, are
other elements "revolutionary"? [We might ask simply is there really such a
thing as a national revolution?  What does that look like today?  What is
the social and economic basis for that revolution?]  Should we dispense with
class entirely and, in the most extreme iteration, substitute color, race,
nation,  people etc?

2. We might continue and ask is there such a thing as "objectively"
anti-capitalist, or anti-imperialist, without consciously being
anti-capitalist at the same time.  IMO, the history of revolution is the
history of the defeat of revolutions and that history shows there is no
objectively anti-capitalist force if it is not simultaneously conscious and
self-conscious of the need to articulate, programmatically and in
organization such class based anti-capitalism.

3.Does Hezbollah state it's for the maintenance of capitalism?    Not in
anything I've read, but does the military resistance to Israel or the
Maronite Christians and Falangists make Hezbollah objectively
anti-capitalist?  Objectively revolutionary?  Please don't confuse this need
for critical assessment with the obligation to defend such groups as
Hezbollah or, as others put it, "bloc" "militarily" with them.  After all we
have that same obligation to defend even such backward groups as the
Taliban, or Saddam, or even Noriega in Panama from US military invasion.

4. None of what I have written should be construed as denying Hezbollah or
any other group the right to seek a compromise, a tactical truce with
opponents.  Timing is everything.

5. Think Jim pointed the terrible cost the civilians of southern Lebanon
paid during the last Israeli invasion [and are still paying, given the
economic devastation and the cluster bombs].   Truce is a necessary
component of building resistance, even by,of, for a class based
organization.  I think Yossi's question is, if stripped of its ideological
and somewhat pedagogical presentation, "what sort of resistance will be
prepared?"