[Marxism] Obama candidacy sparks white-supremacist activity

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 21:19:16 MDT 2008

Washington Post
ttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/21/AR2008062101471.html

Hate Groups' Newest Target
White Supremacists Report an Increase in Visits to Their Web Sites

by Eli Saslow
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama's historic victory in the Democratic primaries,
celebrated in America and across much of the world as a symbol of
racial progress and cultural unity, has also sparked an increase in
racist and white supremacist activity, mainly on the Internet,
according to leaders of hate groups and the organizations that track
them.

Neo-Nazi, skinhead and segregationist groups have reported gains in
numbers of visitors to their Web sites and in membership since the
senator from Illinois secured the Democratic nomination June 3. His
success has aroused a community of racists, experts said, concerned by
the possibility of the country's first black president.

"I haven't seen this much anger in a long, long time," said Billy
Roper, a 36-year-old who runs a group called White Revolution in
Russellville, Ark. "Nothing has awakened normally complacent white
Americans more than the prospect of America having an overtly nonwhite
president."

[...]

"The truth is, we're finding an explosion in these kinds of hateful
sentiments on the Net, and it's a growing problem," said Deborah
Lauter, civil rights director for the Anti-Defamation League, which
monitors hate group activity. "There are probably thousands of Web
sites that do this now. I couldn't even tell you how many are out
there because it's growing so fast."

Neo-Nazi and white power groups acknowledge that they have little
ability to derail Obama's candidacy, so instead some have decided to
take advantage of its potential. White-power leaders who once feared
Obama's campaign have come to regard it as a recruiting tool. The
groups now portray his candidacy as a vehicle to disenfranchise whites
and polarize America.

[...]

Don Black spends 16 hours each day on his laptop computer reading
hundreds of derogatory Obama comments posted on Stormfront.org, a Web
site with the motto "white pride world wide." Black, a former Ku Klux
Klan leader, launched the site in 1995 to create a central meeting
place for the white power movement. In the wake of Obama's securing
enough delegates for the nomination, Stormfront, he says, has begun to
fulfill his vision.

A site that drew a few thousand visitors per day in 2002 has expanded
into Black's full-time job, attracting more than 40,000 unique users
each day who can post on 54 different message boards, he said. Black
has enlisted 40 moderators and his 19-year-old son to help run
Stormfront.

Posters on Stormfront complain that Obama represents the end of "white
rule" and the beginning of "multiculturalism." They fear that he will
promote affirmative action, support illegal immigration and help
render whites, who make up two-thirds of the U.S. population, "the new
minority."

"I get nonstop e-mails and private message from new people who are mad
as hell about the possibility of Obama being elected," said Black, a
white power activist since the 1970s. "White people, for a long time,
have thought of our government as being for us, and Obama is the best
possible evidence that we've lost that. This is scaring a lot of
people who maybe never considered themselves racists, and it's
bringing them over to our side."

Almost all white power leaders said they are benefiting from the rise
in recruits. David Duke, a former Louisiana state representative and a
longtime advocate of racial segregation, said hits to his Web site
have doubled and that more organizations now request him as a guest
speaker. Dan Hill, who runs an extremist group in northern Michigan,
says his cohorts are more willing to "take serious action" and plan
rallies to protest politicians and immigration. Roper says White
Revolution receives about 10 new applicants each week, more than
double the norm.

[...]