[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 23 07:08:09 MDT 2008

yossi schwartz wrote:
> The policy of the Popular Front and this is what we are discussing now,  was
> used by the Social democracy and the Stalinists after WWII to destroy the
> revolutionary working class movement. One of its rotten fruits was the
> establishment of the Zionist state.

Yossi, since you are new to the list you might not be completely aware
of our ground-rules. This is from the Marxmail website:

http://www.marxmail.org/sub.htm

 >>MODERATION PRINCIPLES: The Marxism mailing list is extremely
permissive. There are a couple of things that are frowned upon strongly.
If you come to the list with the attitude that you are a true Bolshevik,
who needs to convert 'Mensheviks' to your beliefs, you will be unsubbed.
Members of self-declared vanguard parties who can adjust to the tolerant
atmosphere of the list are more than welcome, since they usually bring
with them years of Marxist study and political experience. We also
welcome non-Marxists who come to the list in a respectful attitude,
desiring to learn more. However, if you have decided for yourself that
Marxism is wrong and that your purpose on the list is to struggle to
convince others of that, you should not subscribe. The Internet has many
forums where Marxists and anti-Marxists can debate. This is not one of them.

We also exclude fights over whether Trotsky, Stalin or Mao, etc.
represent the true continuity with Marx, Engels and Lenin. A search for
such pedigrees tends inevitably to degenerate into sterile scholasticism
and flame wars.<<

As somebody who is clearly approaching this mailing list in the same
exact fashion as you approach politics off the Internet, you might
wonder why I insist on suppressing chit-chat about the need for a
revolutionary party, whether Stalin or Trotsky was right, etc. These are
obviously topics that are burning up the pages of small newspapers of
the left.

Unfortunately, these topics soon lead to flame wars and people unsubbing
in disgust. I have been involved with Marxism mailing lists on the
Internet since 1993 and have long experience with this. When I launched
Marxmail in 1998, I resolved to put this kind of debate behind us. Now
you may not agree with my decision, but you are going to have to learn
to abide by it.

Go ahead and make your political points about Cuba, Hezbollah or
whatever. But you are going to have leave the Stalin-Trotsky, crisis of
leadership stuff behind.