[Marxism] Turks and American Indians

Pance Stojkovski pance at rogers.com
Wed Jun 25 09:37:49 MDT 2008

--- Louis Proyect wrote:

> That thought first entered my mind when I discovered
> that the word for
> boat in Turkish is “kay?k”. (When the ‘i’ is not
> dotted in Turkish, it
> is pronounced almost like “uh”. With the dot, it is
> more like the ‘i’ in
> it.) A kayak, of course, is the boat favored by
> Inuits in Alaska and across northern Canada.

<snip>

> Throwing caution to the wind, I will accept Kaya’s
> amateurish
> speculations on their own terms, if for no other
> reason it opens up huge
> avenues of literary and philosophical investigations
> about mankind’s common ancestry.

Another interseting word is "water". There are some
languages where they are similar like "voda" in
Russian and "Wasser" in German. But completely
different words in other langauges. (I don't know what
it is in Turkish and Inuit.)

I agree about the common ancestry of humanity, but
also interesting are the differences. Why do we have
so many different words for "water" - a very basic
element of life on earth.

Pance.